I hope this note will help you to finish the project. This is for Case Project 1-1: Selecting a SQL Server 2012 Edition. Name of the Book is Introduction to SQL Server 2012 (MCSA Guide to Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (exam 70-462))
Current version of SQL server is 2016. But I can see that we are interested in SQL server 2012. I did some research on different editions of SQL server 2012 Editions.
My research led to msdn.microsoft.com where I was able to find differences between SQL server 2012 editions. According to my research we should only consider Enterprise or the Business Edition. Here are the differences per Microsoft website:
- SQl server 2012 Enterprise: Enterprise edition is recommended for business. According to Microsoft msdn this edition is comprehensive, mission-critical in-memory performance with unparalleled security, mission critical high availability, an end-to-end enterprise business intelligence solution. This edition also includes built in mobile BI. It supports unlimited virtualization with software assurance.
- SQl server 2012 Business: In this edition, there are some limitation in high availability, Scalability and Performance. We will not get all high functionality as Enterprise edition.
Here are the overview of differences :
Standard, Web, Express with advanced service, Express with tools and express editions are not suitable for our new customer relationship management system because of database storage limitation. I would recommend SQL server 2012 Enterprise because we will have advanced SteamInsight, Advanced security, Data warehousing and Always on High availability.
According to my research here are the licensing cost:
- Standard Edition: $734 per server plus $207 per CAL, or $6,874 per core
- Business Intelligence Edition: $7,026 per server plus $207 per CAL
- Enterprise Edition: $6,874 per core
According to your anticipation, sales force will grow by 25 percent per year and you would like the option to develop a set of internal Business Intelligence tools in the future. If we buy Enterprise solution, we will have all the features and we will be able to test Business Intelligence tools for future. We don’t have to think about changing hardware and software model.
Please let me know if you have any question or concern.
Akkawi, Faisal. MCSA Guide to Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (exam 70-462). Australia: Delmar, 2013. Print.
“Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012.” Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2017.
“Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Pricing, Licensing Packed with Changes.” SearchSQLServer. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2017.